Saturday, June 29, 2024

Silver Bay Chapel

 Although most of my scenic quilts are of wild places, the buildings at Silver Bay are an integral part of its landscape.  This is my second version of the Chapel.  The original fabrics here were very busy and competed with each other, so in order to increase the contrast in some areas and take it down in others, I've added pearlized white paint to the sky and darkened some of the foliage.  Heavy quilting also serves to change the value of some areas.  It's a good example of how you can alter a quilt until you're happy with it.  The starting fabrics were the equivalent of a base layer or under-painting.  Heavy machine quilting, fabric paint, and subtle use of markers create the depth, highlights, and shadows that complete the piece.   This little quilt is actually 95% finished, but I may add a touch of color inside the current border to tie everything together.  



This is what I started with:



No comments:

Post a Comment