Tuesday, June 11, 2024

August Plans

 This summer I am delighted to be returning to the Silver Bay Association in early August to offer a couple of short workshops on landscape quilting.  


To this end, I am working on a new series of small pieces inspired by my time there.  Silver Bay is one of those places that changes people.  Located in the Adirondacks, it is part resort and part YMCA.  As a child, I vacationed there with my family.  As a young adult, I worked there summers.  Now I go back occasionally to vacation, as time permits, but always the Adirondacks have felt like a second home.  The watercolor instructors at Silver Bay have influenced my artistic style.  The vistas are directly responsible for the images in my landscape quilts, and the high peaks still whisper to me decades after hiking there.  Silver Bay is where I had my first kiss, where I learned to drive stick shift, and where I did much of my growing up.  It’s where I had some of my worst and best moments.  It was where I had my first job at 16 and if I’m lucky it will be my last job, after I retire, when I can spend more than a few days there - dipping my toes in the lake and watching the stars come out. 






No comments:

Post a Comment