Thursday, August 27, 2020

Small Ripples in Blue & White

 This 8 1/2" x 11" sample is a taste of my next big project.  And by big, of course I don't mean large, just time consuming.  There are around 55 fussed and stitched pieces here, and it's one section of a larger design based on a photo from back in 2014 when we went to Washington, DC for a family vacation.  Of course we visited as many art museums as possible, but when I got home, the image that most stayed with me was this reflection...even back then I knew it was destined to become a quilt. 


This is based on reflections in the fountain in the plaza of the Hirshhorn Museum, which features modern and contemporary art.  The museum windows encircle the plaza and reflect into the pool in the center, creating a wonderful moving grid of white and blue. The project promises to be much more abstract than my usual work.

These prints are the beginning of a pattern for the larger piece.  Can you figure out which section my little sample is based on?



No comments:

Post a Comment