Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Adirondack High Peaks - the View from Hopkins Mt.

In my twenties, I managed to climb a handful of high peaks in the Adirondacks.  (A high peak is anything over 4000'.)  I don't get above tree-line very often any more, but the views are burned into my memories and perhaps I can climb a few more after retirement, if my feet are up to it.  However, a few years back my family stayed at Silver Bay and I was determined to try to climb something.  Rather than go for a true high peak, we settled on Hopkins Mountain, where we hoped to actually find parking and keep the hike on the "short" side.  Given that it turned out to be a humid 96 degree day, it was a good choice.  I don't remember what our hiking time was, or the distance, but the view of the high peaks was stunning.  

One of my goals after we moved back to the East Coast from the San Francisco Bay Area was to experiment with clouds.  This is the first time I've gotten around to it, even though we've been back for quite a while.  The Bay Area doesn't get clouds like we do here.  Looking back at photos from that hike reminds me to play with clouds and mountains more often, both on foot and in fabric.  I'm thrilled with the way this piece has turned out and can't wait to do a few more!




No comments:

Post a Comment