Thursday, March 15, 2012

The 13th Must Be My Lucky Day!


Lost Moon #3
Toward the end of 2011, I designed a quilt for Joann Fabric’s latest Quilt Your Colors challenge.  Last year, I entered for the first time and placed 6th!   click here for last year's winners    The main requirement is simply that you use materials from/available from their stores.  Here’s last year’s entry.  (See pic at right.)  If you look closely, you can see that the branches form a circle in the sky where the moon has fallen down.  It is lost and lying at the base of a birch tree.  This piece included cotton, brocade, lame, sheers, ribbon and lace.

So, this year I wanted to do something a little different.  Having an 8-year-old dinosaur-crazy boy at home provided the perfect inspiration.  He even came up with the idea for the fiddle head ferns, which are rolled up strips of velvet.  I submitted photos of the quilt at the beginning of this year and this past Tuesday (the 13th) I just got the call – I’ve made the list of top 20 finalists!  Now I get to send in the actual quilt for judging in April. 
Cretaceous Sunrise

1 comment:

  1. The 3-Dimensionality of the Cretaceous Sunrise quilt is amazing. Also, the detail of the fiddle heads in the foreground is an inspired touch!

    ReplyDelete